Dr. Oz Discusses the Total 10 Rapid Weight-Loss Plan
How to Lose a Pound a Day
For long-term weight loss, it is not recommended to lose more than 1-2 pounds per week, but if you're looking to jump-start your weight loss or shed some extra pounds before a big event, it is possible to lose a pound a day. Read this article to learn how.
Disclaimer: This article is in no way intended to promote rapid weight loss. The best way to lose weight and keep it off is to eat healthy, exercise often, and lose the pounds slowly.
Know the numbers.In order to lose one pound, you will need to burn 3,500 more calories than you consume in a day. How many calories you burn in a given day just by existing will depend on your current weight and level of physical activity. You can calculate this by multiplying your weight by ten.
- If you weigh 150 pounds, then you burn about 1,500 calories per day just by going about your usual business. If you eat 1,000 calories, then you'll need to burn 3,000 additional calories each day to lose one pound.
Reduce your caloric intake.To lose a pound a day, you should consume between 1,200 or 1,500 calories a day depending on your weight and how much you exercise. You can cut down on calories by both eating smaller portions and by eating healthier foods.
- Eat low-calorie foods that fill you up. Your diet should consist primarily of vegetables and lean proteins. Eat lettuce, celery, broccoli, green beans, spinach, and other greens. For protein, eat chicken, turkey, fish, and tofu. Vegetables and proteins fill you up quickly and have very few calories.
- Cut out sugar, fat, salt, and most carbohydrates. While a normal diet should contain these things in moderation, you should cut these foods out completely while trying to lose weight quickly.
- Don't add salad dressings or cooking sauces to your food, as these are loaded with extra calories. Season your food with pepper, lime, vinegar, or hot sauce.
- Cut down on calories by using a cooking spray rather than olive oil, vegetable oil, or butter.
Keep a weight loss journal.Studies have shown that people who keep track of what they eat by writing it down lose more weight than those who do not.Write down everything you eat in a journal, and be sure to include the calorie content of each food and add the numbers up as you go.
- Include the calories you burned from exercising and subtract them from your total.
- Try using an online food tracking service like My Fitness Pal or Calorie King to make things easier.
Get one to two hours of aerobic exercise every day.No matter how little you eat, you will absolutely have to burn additional calories in order to lose a pound a day. The following is a list of top calorie-burning aerobic activities:
- Cross Country Skiing.Calories burned per hour: 545 (moderate) to 1,125 (intense).
- Biking.Calories burned per hour: 570 (moderate) to 850 (intense).
- Running.Calories burned per hour: 850 (for an 8 minute mile).
- Boxing.Calories burned per hour: 615 (moderate) to 815 (intense).
- Squash.Calories burned per hour: 850.
- Swimming.Calories burned per hour: 545 (moderate) to 680 (intense).
- Rock Climbing.Calories burned per hour: 540 (Rappelling) to 750 (Ascending).
- Rugby.Calories burned per hour: 681 (moderate) to 715 (intense).
Drink plenty of water.Not only does drinking water keep your stomach full, it will help replenish your fluids and keep you energetic while exercising. Drink between 10-12 cups of water each day.
- Add lemon, lime, or cucumber to your water to make it more appealing.
Don't eat anything after 7:00pm.Remember that your metabolism slows down dramatically while you are sleeping, so you will need to give your body ample time to digest everything you eat before going to bed. The earlier you finish eating for the day, the better. Be sure to eat a proper dinner, though, so that you don't wake up hungry in the middle of the night.
Curbing Your Appetite
Drink green tea.Tea and other caffeinated beverages like coffee help suppress the appetite and boost your metabolism.
- Try not to drink more than two cups of coffee per day, as it can leave you feeling nervous and jittery.
Chew gum.Many people overeat and smoke because of an oral fixation. Combat this by keeping your mouth busy with a stick of gum. Plus, chewing gum burns calories and strengthens the jawbone.
Brush and flossyour teeth between meals.Having a clean, fresh mouth will prevent you from snacking on foods, and as an added bonus, will keep your teeth and gums healthy!
Eat ginger root.Ginger energizes the body and helps speed up digestion.Make ginger tea by boiling some ginger root in hot water, or cut up some ginger and add it to your salad or stir-fry.
Eat apples.Apples are a dieter's best friend; they help keep you full because they are rich in fiber, they help regulate glucose levels, and keep you feeling energetic even when you are cutting down on calories.
Keep yourself busy.The best way to eat less is to find something that you enjoy doing even more than (or just as much as) eating food. If you feel the urge to snack, then take a warm bubble bath, paint your nails, read a book, call a friend, go out for a walk, pop in your favorite movie, or go shopping.
QuestionI'm over forty - can I still lose a pound a day?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerAbsolutely. Often the trouble isn't losing weight, but keeping it off. Focus on daily exercise, even taking a walk, and keeping your calories down enough to have the negative calorie balance, and the weight will slowly come off. Intensity is great, but consistency is better for keeping the weight off long term.Thanks!
QuestionWhat are some good aerobic exercises?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerBoxing, kickboxing, swimming, running, hiking, biking, walking quickly, aerobic dance workouts, most sports. Just remember to stretch well before you do any exercise.Thanks!
QuestionHow can a teenager lose a lot of weight?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerReserve a specific time for exercise daily, cut down your caloric intake, and try fun workouts which you enjoy.Thanks!
QuestionHow many pounds can you loose if you only eat an apple a day for 2 weeks?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt's impossible to say exactly (there are two many other variables that would need to be taken into account besides the number of calories in a single apple), but eating just an apple a day is a starvation diet and will definitely backfire on you. Your body simply will not tolerate eating so few calories -- you're likely to rebound with a binge and gain back the weight you lost and more.Thanks!
QuestionWhat sorts of proteins should I eat to feel full?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerNuts, chicken, turkey, eggs, beans, and Greek yogurt are all very filling. Whatever you get, be sure that it doesn't contain added sugar; stay away from anything that has19g or more grams of sugar.Thanks!
QuestionI'm 160 pounds and I want to lose weight in 2 weeks. What can I do?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerIt is possible. You could follow the steps in this article like drinking lots of water, eating less, not eating after 7pm, etc, but it is not necessarily healthy and it is not good for long term weight loss.Thanks!
QuestionWhat if I can't lose weight no matter how hard I have tried?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerDon't give up. There are reasons we overeat, and the only way to change our eating habits is to delve deep into our hearts to find out why we consume more than our bodies need. Once we have the answer, we can then control it.Thanks!
QuestionDo you advocate three meals a day or eating small meals more often?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerEating smaller meals can make it easier for your stomach and sends the signals to your brain that it's going to be fed again, so it doesn't need to store fat. However, the answer really depends on which scientific literature you read and what your own body type responds to. Why don't you try both ways and see which works best for you? You'd only need to trial it over a small period of time to see what works best.Thanks!
QuestionHow do I lose weight when eating school food?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerTry to bring your own food from home, or only eat the healthier school food.Thanks!
QuestionWhere can I find a table of calories for common foods?wikiHow ContributorCommunity AnswerSearch online using your favorite search engine (ie: Google or Yahoo). Make sure that you are reading pages that have authorized by experts know what they're talking about. Many students will post their assignments online, and their findings are not always correct.Thanks!
What is the assumed bed time, if you aren't to eat after 7pm? What if your work schedule has you up at late hours?
How much weight can a 150-pound female lose in 1 day?
Can I lose weight eating one cookie per day?
If I burn more calories than I eat, will I lose a pound a day?
Will walking encourage weight loss?
- Find a way to stay motivated. Take before and after pictures, cut out pictures of models/athletes and post them on your refrigerator, or find a weight-loss buddy to exercise and share tips with.
- Some of the weight you lose, initially, will be water weight. For lasting results, lose the weight gradually by eating healthy and being more active.
- If you eat a lot of food, cut back little by little, making it a habit to eat a smaller meal. Studies have proven that 5 small meals a day is healthier and helps people lose weight faster than eating three normal-sized meals.
- Give yourself a goal of how many calories you want burn in a day, but make it achievable and start small.
- You can keep an eating schedule to know what healthy foods you are going to eat per day. Also don't forget to add time to exercise in between to keep fit.
- Keep your calorie count at 800 to 900 a day. No matter what you're doing throughout the day keep moving and stay focused.
- Don't stay up late at night because it will give you the urge to eat.
- Don't try to lose a pound a day for more than five days in a row, as your body may switch to starvation mode, making it more likely that you will gain the weight back in a short period of time.
Sources and Citations
In other languages:
Português: , Italiano: , Español: , Deutsch: , 中文: , Français: , Русский: , Čeština: , Nederlands: , العربية: , हिन्दी: , ไทย: , 한국어: , 日本語: , Tiếng Việt:
Video: HOW I LOST 1 POUND EVERYDAY | J MAYO
How to Get a Chiseled Jawline
Falafel with Cucumber-Tomato Salad
3 Ways to Cook Herring
How to Do the Four Limbed Staff Pose in Yoga
How to Choose Plants for a Garden
How to Read a FEMA Flood Map
How to Have a Positive Attitude (for Teens)
How to Buy Lawn Sprinklers
Kelly Rowland Is Launching A Makeup Line for Dark Skin Tones
How to Press Tofu